Monday, May 11, 2009

Moroccan Sweet Potato Soup


Photo from here.


This weekend just past I made the most delicious soup!

I found a recipe online for a Morrocan Sweet Potato soup, and thought I'd modify it slightly to make it suitable for vegetarians.

The recipe is as follows:

Ingredients ~
1 brown onion, diced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1/2 tspn dried coriander
2 tspns cumin powder
1/2 tspn chilli flakes
600g gold sweet potato, diced
500g carrots, sliced
6 cups vegetable stock
350g chickpeas, soaked & drained well
1/2 lemon, juiced
Turkish bread croutons to serve

I browned the onion in a saucepan, using about 1 tspn olive oil, before adding the garlic, coriander, cumin powder and chilli flakes and let the heat release the flavours.

Then I put all the ingredients (except the croutons, of course) into the slow-cooker and cooked on high for around 6 hours.

Then I used a hand-held blender to mix it all up. This saved me having to remove the soup from the slow-cooker, but you could scoop it out and mix it in a regular blender then pour it back into the pot if you dont have a hand-held one.

Then I left it to simmer on low for another 2 hours.

I made the croutons, simply by cutting some turkish bread into 2cm squares, spraying them with olive oil and putting them in the oven at 200*C for around 15 minutes.

I then took it over to the in-laws and shared it for dinner Saturday night, and there was not a morsel left to take home with me.

This recipe is incredibly yummy!

If you dont have a slow-cooker, click on the picture above and it will take you to the Taste.com.au website where I found the original recipe, which is cooked the hard way: in saucepans on the stove. But if you have time for that kind of thing...

1 comment:

  1. That recipe sounds sensational. I'm dying to try it.

    Kate

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!