Monday, June 1, 2009

Bread & Butter.


I'm sorry that I didnt do a recipe post last week. It was a very hectic week for me: On the Monday I attended my aunt's funeral, which meant I didnt do any cooking worth sharing that weekend as I had to leave for the city on Sunday afternoon. Then work was flat-out the rest of the week, as it always is the last week of the month when you're managing a trust account.

But this weekend I did do some baking, even though SJ went to visit his brother and I was home alone (with the dog) most of the time. I made Bread & Butter Pudding - so easy and so very, very yummy. I made it with dried mixed fruit, as I didnt have any fresh fruit around and hadnt defrosted any stewed fruit in time. But the recipe I use is fantastic, because it can so easily be modified - it is extra yummy with fresh sliced bananas, or stewed figs.

Here is the basics you will need:
10 Slices of bread, buttered on one side, crusts removed & cut in half diagonally
2 eggs
1 tspn vanilla essence
600ml (1 Pint) milk
1/2 Cup sugar
Sprinkle of Cinnamon
Either dried mixed fruit, sultanas, fresh sliced bananas or stewed fruit

And what you do with it:
Lay half the sliced and buttered bread on the bottom of a greased, oven-proof dish.
Sprinkle with half the sugar & some cinnamon.
Add half your fruit.
Top with remaining slices of bread, sugar, cinnamon and fruit.

In a jug pour 600ml (1 Pint) milk, add beaten eggs and vanilla essence.
Pour mixture over bread.
Let sit for 10 minutes whilst liquid soaks through.

Place in fan-forced oven at 180*C and cook for 20 - 30 minutes, or until golden brown.

Serves 6.

1 comment:

  1. So sorry to hear about your auntie. The bread pudding looks very yummy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!