Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Pride & Prejudice (& favourite reads).


Last night I finished reading Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen for, oh, the fifth or sixth time (to be perfectly honest I have lost track of how many times I have picked it up off the bookshelf and read it simply because I had nothing else worth reading or because the mood took me).

It is easily my favourite novel of all time. From the opening line to the final chapter it is pure brilliance. So much wit! So much drama! So much romance! So much irony and sarcasm! I would consider it impossible for anyone not to enjoy this book.

My favourite part of the story is when our heroine, Elizabeth Bennet, meets Mr Darcy completely by accident at his home, Pemberley, whilst there with her aunt and uncle, perusing the house and grounds (and thinking Mr Darcy was away at the time). It's there that she realises her opinion of him is not what it should be, and it is this moment that she falls in love with the mis-understood Mr Darcy.

Oh, Mr Darcy! The fictional character upon which every woman moulds her perfect man!

Do you have a favourite part of this story too? If so, I'd love to hear of it.

Or perhaps you'd just like to share your favourite story or novel, Austen or otherwise?

I'd be most interested to know.
After all, books are a most favoured topic of mine.



Winter Reading List (May - August) Progression:

Persuasion by Jane Austen
Tales of Mystery & Imagination by Edgar Allen Poe
The Historian by Elizabeth Kostova

Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen

1 comment:

  1. My favorite part is probably when Mr. Collins proposes to Elizabeth, I love the line, "Do not consider me now as an elegant female intending to plague you, but as a rational creature speaking the truth from her heart." (Thank you again and again for giving Austen another try!)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!