Monday, September 10, 2012

Monday Mail Out: Making colourful stationery - tutorial.



Living where I do, it can be quite the challenge to find interesting and attractive stationery for letter writing, and with the added cost of postage shopping online can become expensive. So when I'm looking for a bit of inspiration or just something a bit different, I simply make my own.


If you'd like to do the same, you will need:
Writing paper
Scrapbooking paper, cardstock or wrapping paper
A circular die cutter (for cutting shapes)
Glue
Scissors
Paint and a paintbrush


Step 1: Using the die cutter, cut as many circles as you will need from your scrapbooking paper, cardstock or wrapping paper.


Step 2: Glue the die cuts to your writing paper, leaving half the circles exposed at the edge, as seen above. I put mine along the bottom, but you could run them down the sides or all the way around if you wanted to.


Step 3: Cut the circles along the edge of the paper so you end up with a semi-circle pattern, as above. Use the remaining halves to make the same pattern on another page.


Step 4 (optional): Take your paint and paintbrush (I use a children's watercolour set and a thin brush), pick your colour...


...and paint a border on your paper.


Step 5: Repeat the process until you have as many sheets as you need.

Step 6: Write a letter!



Written correspondence has been a hobby of mine for a long time, & Monday Mail Out is a weekly feature whereby I can share my love for the lost art of letter writing. I hope my experiences will encourage others to send out letters on Monday too, and have them rediscover the joy of sending and receiving mail. If you have a blog, feel free to join in.

6 comments:

  1. I still write a lot of letters but I tend not to make as much of my own stationery as I used to. I do get into the mood every now and again and make a bunch which I store and pull out when I feel like it. I love the overall look and the color scheme of this one! xoxox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Vanisha! Thanks for stopping by. :) I make my own stationery when I'm either bored with or getting low on the purchased stuff, or when I want a particular theme. On the weekend I made a Birthday themed set for a friend's birthday later this month. It was pink and I have to say that I prefer the orange set featured in this post a little better. Have to admit I'm not a huge fan of pink!
      ~S.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the Tutorial. Your stationery looks great. You must have a very steady hand for painting such even borders.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Depends on how tired I am! I can usually only make one set at a time. After that my hand starts to get a bit heavy and wonky. :/
      ~S.

      Delete
  3. Your stationary looks just lovely! Have a good day!

    Madelief x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this post! I want to start making my own stationery, but I can't stop buying pre-made stationery. This was really creative and something that I'd be interested in doing. I might try out your idea, thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to visit my blog. I really appreciate any suggestions, feedback and comments you may like to share, so please don't be afraid to leave them. It'd be wonderful to see you return again!